Wednesday 10 February 2016

A Jack Straw Cartoon

Not entirely happy with this one. I thought the joke would be better when I thought of it and I didn't really get to add extra jokes. The Tony Blair face in the tree didn't quite work either, though I think this is the first time I've ever tried that trick of turning a face into a tree and hoping to keep it recognizable. I could probably have worked more on this but I don't like the previous day's work from intruding on new work and the cartoon I subsequently thought up seemed so much better until I drew it and showed it to people to a lukewarm response. I'm such a lousy judge of my own work.. What a wasted day...

2 comments:

  1. Not at all! The tree was good: it took me a few seconds to work it out, but that's a good thing. I think the cartoon has all the features of a striking drawing: action, metaphor and grotesquery. I suspect the feedback was muted because - en face - it shows the corpse of a living person being hanged then hit with a stick by another living person...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks Greg. I draw these primarily for myself so it's gratifying when anybody likes (or indeed gets) them. Turning the tree into Blair was a bit of an afterthought so wasn't sure it would work. If it did, I'll tick it off as a small success. Next time I'll get the teeth to look more treelike.

    ReplyDelete