Monday 16 September 2013

One of those mornings...

Stormy weather so I set out to buy milk and a few essentials from the nearest shop. Only I get there and discover they don’t have half the things on my list. I lick my finger and hold it to the breeze. It would be in my face going into town, behind me coming back. Decision made. I’ll head into town.

Ten minutes later, I’m in Morrison’s, another ten after that I’m in Tesco. The shopping is quickly done but an old smoker is fuming inches from my bike so I don’t bother packing my backpack and just set off with two bags of groceries balancing out my handle bars. I knew I looked ridiculous so I chose a quiet route home.

I climbed the hill really easy but at the end of it, found myself struggling through dozens of cars which have been parked down the road. A couple are moving away so I slip behind them. But this isn’t good. Soon I’m cycling with more cars behind me. I look over my shoulder and the guy behind is pointing at me and giving me a bad look. I know I shouldn’t be riding with bags on my handlebars and I know I look ridiculous but I didn’t expect there to be so much traffic on what’s normally a very quiet road.

The traffic then turns a bend, heading to the last bridge before my street. I know I’ll soon be able to escape this traffic but wonder if I should try cutting across to make the right turn.

Except it’s then that I notice the cars ahead of me. It’s then that I notice that I’m third in a funeral cortege. I was utterly horrified. I don’t think my two large Tesco shopping bags filled with assorted tangerines, pineapple juice, and red onions added to the solemnity.

It’s been that kind of morning.

I’ve been working until 3, sometimes 4am, trying to get this comic strip finished. It’s probably the best work I’ve ever done. The writing is 80% there but needs some tinkering. The inking is probably 99% done.

I thought that would be the end of it but I decided this morning to see if I can colour it. I’ve done a couple of panels and I think the colour improves it even more. It’s going to take days but I hope to make it before the deadline.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment