Monday, 24 February 2014



I don’t want to ignore the blog at the expense of the app but, over the weekend, I definitely became more serious about the work I’m doing with Android. I actually found myself adding comments to my code. It’s a small thing but it tells me that I’m passed the stage where I’m not entirely sure what I’m doing. As you can see from this snippet, I’m actually writing completely new code and I need the comments to remind me what all the parts are doing.

It’s strange to be programming again. This project started out as an intellectual distraction. Could I really get something running on my Android tablet and could it actually do something I might find useful? I could and I think that it is. Useful to me, at least, and I’m already using it as it was intended. I’m also now at the stage where I can see the faults of my original design and I’ve started to rectify them.

One of the problems I’ve tackled today was the variety of screen sizes in the devices that run Android. Every device out there seems to have a different sized screen or different pixel densities. That’s a problem because I’d like my little App to work on a wide variety of devices so I need to be sure that I’ve built software capable of adapting to different environments. That’s not as easy as it sounds, if, indeed, it sounds easy at all. It’s the sort of thing that could easily leave me chewing on the business end of mental ward by the end of the week…

No comments:

Post a Comment