Sunday 11 January 2015

Bill O'Reilly Doodled Badly



This is throwaway stuff. Caricatures are fun to draw, though I draw them simply in order to learn how to draw them. I have no idea why I drew Bill O'Reilly. I don't watch Fox News and I don't watch his show. However, I like finding faces I've not drawn before, so last night, I sat down and drew his face. Then, not quite knowing what to do, I took my usual step when bored and stuck the head on a naked body wearing a g-string. Childish stuff, I know, but I was bored, too tired to think but not quite tired enough to sleep. I also believe in the old dictum that the best way to take away a person's powerful mojo is to picture them naked. Nothing ridicules a person more than stripping them of all pretence.

I have two stages when I draw these caricatures. Stage one is actually trying to get a likeness and it can take anywhere between two minutes and two (even several) hours. Because I don't have an artistic bone in my body and I can't draw to save my life, I have to work hard to get past stage one. Sometimes I really struggle with a face. Prince Andrew is a swine to draw. Nick Clegg is getting better. I like drawing Stephen Fry. I hate drawing Tom Cruise. Other times, the face is immediately there. Some faces lend themselves to caricature and a 'likeness' is never too hard to find. Other faces, just never quite work. This Bill O'Reilly worked fairly quickly, though I think I lost a little something during stage two. Stage two is the bit I enjoy. It's when I clean up all the lines, adding shading, and then (if I'm in the mood) putting in the colour.

Today I'll be hard at work going through computer code. I'm trying to get at least one of my two current projects finished so I can at least put it out into the world and I can forget it and move on to something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment