Sunday 9 November 2014

Long Sunday

Sunday. I have a cartoon to post but I haven't finished it. I have a long piece of nonsense to post but I haven't finished it. I have made significant changes to Shuffleboard King but it's not ready to be rolled out. I have dozens of jobs to do and I won't have enough hours in the day to do half of them.

Worst of all: I have one enormous bug to fix and I have no idea how to fix it or what might even be causing it. Since the game mode I've introduce in the next update is for single player and is 'against the clock', I decided to implement some high score tables so players can track how well they're doing in each of the levels. I programmed the high score routines, wrote a simple sorting algorithm for the scores, as well as a neat method of storing scores for each layout of table. Looks great when I run it on the PC. Then I build it for Android and no text appears on the highscore tables. Usually, this sort of thing is easy to fix. This time, I just can't see the bug and I'm beginning to fear that it might be a bug in the build of Unity I'm using. That might mean I'll have to upgrade my Unity to the latest version and that's not something I want to do. Each time Unity updates, the developers fix certain bugs. That, you might think, is great. However, my game is working despite the bugs. If I update it to the lastest version now, I need to test the entire game again because there might be new bugs. Even worse, the parts of the code they've fixed might start to work correctly which is a problem if I've taken into account their bugs to make my code work correctly. If their code starts to work properly, my workarounds for their bugs might then become bugs in themselves...

Long Sunday. Lots to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment